Native Knot - Native American Businesses Indian Culture Attractions Events

Muscogee (Creek) Nation

MCN is one of the 5 Civilized Tribes and is the fourth largest tribe in the U.S.

Muscogee (Creek) Nation
Hwy 75 & Loop 56
P.O. Box 580
Okmulgee, OK 74447
Fax: 918.758.1434
Share by Email

Car Registration

MCN Tax Commission

ATTN: Tribal Tag Holders

The Oklahoma Tax Commission, through various state law enforcement agencies, is attempting to identify vehicles with Tribal tags that are not principally garaged in the proper jurisdiction area. In the event a vehicle with a Tribal tag is stopped, the law enforcement officer will ask for your place of employment, home address, and phone number. If it is determined that your vehicle is principally garaged outside of the Tribes jurisdiction area, your vehicle will be impounded and you will be assessed back taxes, penalties, and interest. You should make every effort to ensure that your own information is consistent with your residence and drivers license. Falsification of the affidavit of jurisdiction with the Tribe, by indicating that you live with Tribal jurisdiction, makes you liable for any impoundment, penalties or interest imposed by the State.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be an Enrolled Muscogee (Creek) Nation, citizen
  • Must reside within the jurisdictional boundaries of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation

The Muscogee (Creek) Nation Tax Commission deals primarily with the titling and registration of personal vehicles, commercial vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trailers, farm trucks and trailers, and all-terrain vehicles.   Each citizen is eligible for up to two discounted vehicles; this includes veteran, handicap, and elderly.  At the moment, we do not tag boats or manufactured homes.

New Registrations: 

New registrations require that the tribal member come into the office.  We understand that certain circumstances are unavoidable, such as work, school, etc., that will hinder the citizen from coming into the office.  In the event that this happens, the citizen may delegate a signature authority in their absence by completing the Muscogee delegate form.  Their delegate must bring this notarized form in along with a copy of the citizens drivers license and citizenship card. Depending on what type of registration you are doing, there may be a different registration tax rate that is used in calculating your fees.  You may use this link if you would like to estimate a quote on your own or please feel free to call the office to have a Motor Vehicle Revenue Agent assist you.


Renewal letters are printed out once monthly as a reminder of when your decals are due.  You may renew your decals by coming into the office or by mail.  Payment along with your current insurance may be mailed to MCN Tax Commission, PO Box 579, Okmulgee, OK  74447.  Please verify that the effective date, expiration date and VIN (vehicle identification number) are accurate.  Please contact the office if you are mailing in a late renewal so that a Motor Vehicle Revenue Agent can calculate the late penalties.

Payment Types:

We accept cash, check, or money order.  Temporary and out of state checks are not accepted.  Please write your drivers license number, the expiration date, your date of birth, along with two phone numbers on your check.  At the moment, online or credit card payments are unavailable.

If you sell, trade, or give your vehicle away, take the tag off and inform the office so that we can make the tag inactive.

All vehicles (except travel trailers and All-Terrain Vehicles) require insurance.

We do not black tag.

 Required Documents:

  • Creek citizenship card (not the Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) card). With each new registration, a citizenship card is required. You may obtain your citizenship card at the MCN Citizenship Office located at the main office.
  • Valid Oklahoma driver license or Oklahoma State ID with current in a jurisdictional address.
  • Current insurance verification. Verification must show effective date, expiration date, and
    vehicle identification number.
  • Original state title or manufacturers statement of origin (MSO). Certified copies will not be
    accepted. If there is a place for the title or MSO to be notarized, it must be notarized.
    Creek members name must be shown on the title, either on the front as an owner or on the back as the buyer. If the vehicle is already registered under the Creek members name, through the state, and you are wanting to register your vehicle with Creek Nation, you must bring in your state title along with the registration papers from last year or the reminder card you get in the mail stating that its time to renew. We do not accept Salvaged titles. Be sure to look at the type of title you have, this is shown on the front of your state title.
  • If there is a lien on the title, the Creek member must be on the lien as one of the debtors. If not, you will need to contact the lien holder and get a letter from them stating it is okay to add the Creek member to the title, see Authorization to Add Citizen form.
  • If the vehicle was purchased from a dealership/car lot, they must bring in their Bill of Sale or Sales Contract from the dealer. If purchased from an individual, you will fill out a Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price form.
  • If the Creek member is unable to come in and register their vehicle, he/she must do a notarized statement giving that individual permission to sign for your Creek tag, see Muscogee delegate form.
  • If you come in with an out of jurisdiction address, you must show proof of address within the last thirty (30) days by bringing in one of the following showing the Creek citizens name on it:
  • Utility bill
  • Phone bill
  • Most recent on-going checking account statement

Discounted Tags:

Citizens who are veterans of the armed forces, elderly or physically handicapped are eligible for two discount rates through the Muscogee (Creek) Nation.  Only two discounted vehicles are allowed at one time.  Switching of tags is not permitted.



There is no registration tax levied on eligible vehicles owned by citizens of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation who present documentation that they are entitled to veteran status.  In order to receive our Veteran discount, the Muscogee (Creek) citizen must present a DD214 Member 4 showing an honorable discharge.

To be eligible for our Veteran Disabled discount, the citizen must provide documentation proving