CPN Veterans Report - December
According to a recent press release from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs,
President Donald Trump declared November 2018 the second annual National Veterans and Military Families Month. President Trump announced during the dedication, “We salute the brave and dedicated patriots who have worn the uniform of the United States, and we celebrate the extraordinary military families whose selfless service and sacrifice make our military the finest in the world.”
Now veterans and military families can enjoy special recognition for an entire month and not just on Veterans Day. In keeping with this focus on our veterans, there will be more than 300 events at Veterans Affairs hospitals, benefits offices, and cemeteries across the country, including:
• Senior leader visits to VA facilities
• Open houses
• Town halls
• Benefits claims clinics
• Volunteer recognitions
• Homeless veteran initiative events
• Suicide-prevention events
• Faith-based community events
• Flag planting tributes at national cemeteries
In addition to the local and regional events across the country, the VA is conducting a number of national events, including:
• The annual wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and leadership breakfast at the National Press Club
• White House hosting veterans serving in state and local leadership event Nov. 15
• Expansion of the ChooseVA branding campaign
• Legal Services Week during the first week of November, providing free legal services to veterans in need
• VetTalkX events in nine locations, which are TEDx-type local activities featuring key veterans sharing their stories of post-military life and connecting Veterans with their communities, all to help bridge the civilian-military divide.
Visit your VA facilities or contact your VA Representative if you have questions that need answers. I have included the contact information for our CPN Tribal Veterans VA Representative here.
We will meet for our annual combined Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner on Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, at 5 p.m. in the North Reunion Hall at the CPN Powwow Grounds. CPN Veterans and their families are welcome. January will begin our regular routine of monthly meetings.
Remember: the CPN Veterans Organization meets every month on the fourth Tuesday at 6 p.m. (or as soon as you can get there) in the North Reunion Hall on the Potawatomi Powwow Grounds.
All CPN and spouse veterans and their families are welcome. A meal is provided.
Migwetch (Thank you),
Daryl Talbot, Commander
CPN VA Representative:
CPN Office Hours: First and third Wednesday each month,
8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.