- Job Category: Banking/Financial
- Education: Bachelors Degree
- FT/PT: Full-Time
- Company: Native American Job Board
Summary & Scope of Position:
The position reports to the Director of Finance and requires a seasoned accountant with a minimum of
four (4) + years’ experience as a Senior Accountant. Must possess an advanced knowledge of GAAP accounting principles, standards, practices, and procedure and function in a tribal governmental and/or private enterprise environment. Solid experience in utilizing intermediate MS Excel skills for account analysis and presentations.
Responsible for the maintenance of the day-to-day accounting for the Tribe and its departments and non-casino businesses. Maintains the general ledger accounts, reconciles bank and subsidiary accounts and performs other duties as required by the Director of Finance. Oversee the finance employees on a daily basis: Accounts Payable, Payroll, and Staff Accountant, ensure instructions and goals are being met. Areas of responsibility include control of daily accounting for the various business units, assisting with budgets, oversight of payroll, accounts receivable and payables, monthly bank reconciliations for individual company units, general accounting, and assists in the compliance with all Federal and State reporting along with accounting for and reporting of specific requirements. Ability to relate well to and coordinate with department and unit managers and accounting clerks in the fiscal department and in each operating unit. Ability to solve problems and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing as well as plan and evaluate and make accurate reports and recommendations. Track and manage grant budgets, financial statements and reporting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Research and assist in reconciling monthly vendor account statements and accounts payable ledger accounts;
• Maintaining financial reports, records, and general ledger accounts.
• Preparing journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations and assisting with monthly close
• Contributing to the development and review of annual operating budgets and performance projections.
• Maintaining documentation for accounts payable, purchasing, and conducting internal audits.
• Performing monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
• Meeting processing and reporting deadlines.
• Responding to information requests, reviewing financial statements, and assisting with audits.
• Ensuring compliance with GAAP.
• Assisting the accounting manager as needed.
• Responsible for assisting in the preparation of budgets and year-end audits and related year-end work
• Prepares unit bank reconciliation's and clearing accounts.
• Performs all miscellaneous duties within the responsible areas supervised.
• Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
• Balances subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
• Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
• Balances general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
• Maintains historical records by filing documents.
• Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Provide technical support to Finance Director for computer accounts payable system;
• Provide support to ensure procurement records management system is up-to-date including filing and creation/maintenance/disposition of tribal vendor contract files;
• Other duties as assigned to the assist the Tribe in accomplishing goals and objectives;
Necessary Special Requirements:
Working knowledge of fund accounting in Tribal Government operations and/or enterprises;
Must have a strong work ethic and maintains integrity in the financial information flow of data;
Ability to gather data, analyze reports and communicate clear directions to individuals responsible for accounting functions in each tribal program and/or enterprise;
Ability to relate well to the colleagues and encourage excellence in maintaining high standards when it comes to gathering, dispensing, and reporting financial data;
Ability to attend updated financial training and seminars;
Experience in INTACCT Accounting Software (cloud base) or equivalent accounting software is preferred;
Intermediate MS Excel skills including charts and pivot tables;
Basic PowerPoint skills;
Must be able to lift at least 20 lbs.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution with a major in accounting, business, economics, finance or computer science, or a closely related field; A combination of experience and education may be considered in lieu of a degree;
• Four (4) years of direct experience in procurement, accounts payable, and accounting or data processing;
Must be computer proficient on various types of computer accounting applications and ability to utilize programs operated by the PRCI;
• Possess a good knowledge of the principles and methods of bookkeeping; office filing systems; and account maintenance including closing, reconciling, and balancing accounts;
• Be able to work and adapt in a diverse cultural setting;
• Understanding and proficiency in full-cycle grant process required;
• Working knowledge of federal regulations and funding agency practices required;
• Knowledge of Indirect Cost, Public Law 93-638, Federal contracts and grants is preferred;
• Effective verbal and written communication skills with a wide range of audiences;
• Proficiency with office machines;
• Strong working knowledge of computers including MS Office software;
• Ability to perform quality work under pressure and maintain confidentiality;
• Valid driver’s license required and must be insurable under the Tribe’s insurance policy;
• A favorable background investigation is required to include criminal and motor vehicle record check;
• Knowledge of Tribal government operations.
1. Must be able to pass a thorough background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol test;
2. Must adhere to Tribal drug and alcohol policy;
3. Keep regular hours of operations as prescribed by immediate supervisor, Tribal Administrator and Tribal Council;
4. Must have a valid Driver’s License.
E-mail Your Resume